Upgrade advantage in Debian vrs. RedHat

Can someone explain the advantage many see in Debian upgrades vrs. RedHat? To take a concrete example, lets say I planned to start upgrading my home throwaway box (where I put up slink a few years back).

I have only installed so far using dpackage.

If I do apt-gets for a whole set of packages, I will get my add-ons upgraded to the latest and greatest (if I understand this correctly). But I still will have to make a plan & upgrade the *system* software, right? I.e., *everything* isn't packaged.

Am I missing something? While I can see that getting the add-on stuff uptodate is of great value, I would rather be able to install a set of packages (with fall-back capability) to do an upgrade.

Am I missing something?

TIA,

Darryl