Re: Upgrade advantage in Debian vrs. RedHat

Alan Shutko <ats@acm.org> wrote:
>Having done the RHL4->5->6->6.9beta->7.0 upgrades, I'm comfortable in
>saying it can be done without much more pain than an rpm --rebuild on
>your home-built RPMs and a bit of attention in /etc to check what
>.rpm{save,new} popped up.  (And a reboot, since you can't upgrade a
>live system between versions.)

Really? I upgraded RH 5.2 to 6.0 and didn't reboot for a month or two
afterwards. That said, I did this by manually running rpm -Uvh on
everything, which took me all night and was a pretty hideous job. Debian
upgrades between distributions are much cleaner and better-managed.

>Again, it's probably the fact that Debian has everything packaged that
>makes it easier to manage.  A RH admin will have to install more
>non-dist packages, and probably hasn't learned that rpmifying them
>instead of just make install is a good idea.

That's true up to a point. When I last used Red Hat, there were simply
no tools that allowed me to (a) upgrade my whole system in one go and
(b) have some fine-grained control over what's happening in the process,
in case there are some things over which I want to take more care.
Perhaps things have changed since then?