Re: Upgrade advantage in Debian vrs. RedHat

Juergen Fiedler <juergen@fiedlerfamily.net> writes:

> ReNit: Your example assumes that the dependencies for openssh are
> unchanged.

In this case, they are.  8^) (In most cases, RH errata doesn't change
dependencies.  It pisses people off too much... for example, the new
glibc-common package in the errata for RHL7 had tons of people
confused, and constant, repeated queries why "rpm -Fvh" wasn't
working.)

> especcially since rpm has this nasty habit of telling you that it
> needs a newer version of a library, but gives no indication as to
> which package this library is in.

Indeed.  I'm not sure why this was thought to be a good idea.
Probably to allow different packages to supply equivalent files,
without always creating virtual packages.  Unfortunately, file
dependancies mean that RH's up2date has to load in all the header info
for all the RPMs it knows about whenever you want to install a new
RPM, making it orders of magnitude slower than apt-get.  I could get a
cup of coffee on my 700Mhz laptop, and I could take a nap on my P60.

Indeed, RH's setup has disadvantages... I just want the complaints to
be correct.  8^)

Learn from other people's mistakes, you don't have time to make your own.