Re: (OT) - Static electricity grounding device?

On Mon, 26 Mar 2001 21:25:49 PDT, Jason Gunthorpe writes:

>On Tue, 27 Mar 2001, Roberto Diaz wrote:
>
>> I really doubt very much that to connect your electric installation to
>> your pipes installation is even legal.. ask an insurance company.
>
>It's common practice around here.. The pipe going out of the house is an
>excellent ground. However, if you do it wrong, or the pipe is the wrong
>sort you can do all sorts of nasty things to yourself. I've never seen
>this sort of connection done using solder, I doubt it wold work. There are
>special press connectors that are generally used. Be sure to use green
>wire :>

It depends solely on your country´s common practices and local laws.
Here in .at it´s forbidden since beginning 2001 to use the plumbing and/
or water systems for grounding since many of the pipes have been
replaced by plastic tubes. And yes, that way I myself experienced
electric shocks in the shower :( *Not* a nice experience.

>That said. Your house should already be well earthed. The 3rd prong on a
>plug (the roundish one) is a path the grounding block in a fuse box which
>then goes to either a metal pipe (water) or a metal stake.

The third prong is afaik a .us-thingie anyway, other countries have
other types.

>A well built computer should connect all the metal case parts directly to
>the ground prong on the outlet, so to dissipate static it is usually
>sufficient to touch metal on a computer.

Out of experience this isn´t always the case, but the power supply
itself is always grounded, so touch the _power supply_ to be on the
safe side, not just any metal.

cheers,
&rw
--
-- Echte Maenner (tm) pfeifen in den Telefonhoerer.
-- Nikolaus Rath <Nikolaus@rath.org>, DASR