Re: (OT) - Static electricity grounding device?

On Tue, 27 Mar 2001, Roberto Diaz wrote:

> I really doubt very much that to connect your electric installation to
> your pipes installation is even legal.. ask an insurance company.

It's common practice around here.. The pipe going out of the house is an
excellent ground. However, if you do it wrong, or the pipe is the wrong
sort you can do all sorts of nasty things to yourself. I've never seen
this sort of connection done using solder, I doubt it wold work. There are
special press connectors that are generally used. Be sure to use green
wire :>

That said. Your house should already be well earthed. The 3rd prong on a
plug (the roundish one) is a path the grounding block in a fuse box which
then goes to either a metal pipe (water) or a metal stake.

A well built computer should connect all the metal case parts directly to
the ground prong on the outlet, so to dissipate static it is usually
sufficient to touch metal on a computer.

Jason