Re: pon and user in debian

> > I have used pppconfig to configure internet connection. It connects
> > OK. But how to make it work for some selected users. If a group can
> > be made for that purpose say dialup, what are all the files needs to
> > be changed with permissions.
>
> I think debian is set up that way by default.  Just add the select
> users to the group dialout.

>From my understanding:
dialout is if you want the users to be able to dial anything they like..
dip (dialup ip) gives them access to pon/poff..

Once an authorised user invokes a dialup IP connection, all other users on
the system can access that initiated connection.. I know that if root does
pon or poff.. a non-root user in the dip group still cannot poff this
connection... I'm not sure what the deal is between non-root users,,

(Either way, when I'm not home, my sister has figured out that she can go
into my bedroom and power down the modem so she can yap to her friends
on my phone! :/ :) )

Anthony Hogan

... The software is willing, but the flesh is weak
... If thought persists, consult your favourite lifestyle program
... If we're alone in the universe, then it's an awful waste of space