Re: [OT] running a PIII with no fan?

on Sun, Mar 25, 2001 at 03:02:51PM -0800, Krzys Majewski (majewski@cs.ubc.ca) wrote:

> This  is strictly  non-Debian but  I haven't  found any  info  on this
> anywhere so maybe someone can help: can  I run a PIII with the CPU fan
> unplugged, provided I underclock it?  I ran my Katmai 500MHz processor
> with the  fan unplugged  for a whole  day, underclocked to  333MHz, it
> didn't  even blink. This  included 1.5  hours of  intense benchmarking
> stuff (I was scared to push  it for longer than that). Very hot though
> (couldn't  touch  the  heatsink  for   more  than  a  half  second  or
> so). Presumably  this is not very good  for the CPU.

What, specifically, is your objective?

I'm gathering you're looking for a quiet processor by removing the fan.

What processor speed do you need?  I run a PPro 180 which has no CPU
fan, just a moderately large heatsink.  Since 1997.  If you can use an
actively cooled system elsewhere, a low-end Pentium system or 486 with
scads o' RAM, a good video card, and a fast NIC, makes a good X
terminal.

Can additional, silent, cooling be applied?  There are both solid-state
and liquid cooling systems which may be appropriate -- the key to silent
cooling is to dissipate the heat quickly and to a large surface area.

Another tack is to use non-Intel hardware.  The PowerPC (Macintosh),
ARM, and MIPS chips all run significantly cooler than x86.  The original
Cobalt Cube has minimal cooling, though the current version is based on
x86 and has a larger fan.  Likewise the Netwinder.  Note that both are
very underpowered by current standards -- sufficient for file/print
serving, but slow for much else.  Likewise the Mac Cube is a passively

Still another tack might be to find a very quiet fan.  I don't have
specifics on any of this, but suspect an isolation mounting system,
large radius, low speed, and well-engineered bearings, will help