Re: Running X apps when logged as su'd as root

on Sun, Mar 25, 2001 at 10:26:14PM -0500, Hall Stevenson (hallstevenson@mindspring.com) wrote:
> * Brendan O'Connor (brendan642@runbox.com) [010325 22:14]:
> > Is this a consequence of security?  Is there some cheap way around it?  I'm
> > willing to forgo some security on my home desktop to do run things like
> > qtcups.  Thanks!
>
> A cheap way: xhost +localhost
>
> Do that as the *original* user and then su to root.

DON'T do that.

Do you trust every user on your box?

This is *highly* inadvisable on a single-user system.  It's plain stupid
on a multiuser system.

Rather than exporting xauthority, my preference is:

    # As root
    $ xauth merge ~$USER/.Xauthority

...where $USER is your desired user.

This transfers cookies from $USER's .Xauthority file to root's
.Xauthority file.  Changes to user's .Xauthority file don't effect X.
X now has access to user's X session, but not vice versa.