Re: anyone playing DVDs?

    Krzys> What's with the "failed to initialize X shared memory
    Krzys> extension" stuff? How can I fix this? I'm running 3.3.6,
    Krzys> which is supposed to work, albeit without Xv. Upgrading to
    Krzys> 4.* is too much of a nightmare to even think about right now.

(chris, no need to CC: me. I am subscribed to the list.)

It seems that your XFree configuration isn't properly setup for MIT-SHM
(The MIT Shared Memory Extension). I don't know much about MIT-SHM since
I am running XFree88-4.0.2 and the Xv extensions work very well on my
system.

You might have to RTM to figure out how to setup X for MIT-SHM. Not sure
why you didn't hear any audio (are you sure your speakers are plugged in
and powered on :P).

Also try xine-0.3.7 which is the current stable release. 4.0.1 is
considered a development snapshot even though it sports lots of
improvements under the hood.

--
Salman Ahmed
ssahmed AT pathcom DOT com