Re: anyone playing DVDs?

Krzys Majewski <majewski@cs.ubc.ca> writes:

> So the DeCSS-enabled xine compiled. Has anyone got a dvd (.vob??) file
> I could try it on before I install a DVD-ROM and go rent a movie?
>
> -chris

OK, another update.. I managed to download a .vob file after an
hour of searching..  I guess these things are  decrypted and therefore
illegal  and  therefore  not   very  available?  The  file  is  called
"rain.vob" and I guess it's some kind of a Dolby Digital demo.
It plays, but  no sound. Here's the output from  xine. What's with the
"failed to initialize X shared  memory extension" stuff? How can I fix
this? I'm  running 3.3.6,  which is supposed  to work,  albeit without
Xv. Upgrading  to 4.* is too much  of a nightmare to  even think about
right now.

-chris

14:39:51</var/video>$ xine rain.vob
This is xine - a mpeg 1, 2 player v0.4.01 - (c) 2000 by G. Bartsch.
Allocating 2000 buffers of 4096 bytes in one chunk (alignment = 2048)
No extra demux plugins found in /usr/local/lib/xine/plugins
xine_init: demuxer initialized

!!! failed to initialize X shared memory extension. Fall back to plain X11 functions. This is very slow and mostly untested. Are you sure you're using a local graphics device for output? Remote playing via network is not supported by xine!!!

Using X Window System shared memory extension for video output.
yuv2rgb: 16 bpp, mode : 1
yuv2rgb: using MMX for colorspace transform
Using MMXEXT for IDCT transform
Using MMXEXT for motion compensation
xine_init: video thread created
xine_init: SPU thread created
autodetected ALSA audio driver
xine_init: audio thread created
input plugin found : /usr/local/lib/xine/plugins/input_file.so(input_file.so)
input plugin found : /usr/local/lib/xine/plugins/input_net.so(input_net.so)
input_dvd: unable to open raw dvd drive (/dev/rdvd): No such file or directory
input plugin found : /usr/local/lib/xine/plugins/input_dvd.so(input_dvd.so)
input plugin found : /usr/local/lib/xine/plugins/input_vcd.so(input_vcd.so)
input plugin found : /usr/local/lib/xine/plugins/input_stdin_fifo.so(input_stdin_fifo.so)
xine_init: plugins loaded
created ph2 mask pixmap 200000f (400 x 103)
video_out: set_logo_mode 0
select audio channel : 0
ac3_reset
snd_pcm_channel_params() failed: Invalid argument
master clock adjust time 74706 -> 0
snd_pcm_channel_params() failed: Invalid argument
video_out : throwing away image with pts 392343 because it's too old (diff : 3326 > 1501).
200 frames delivered, 24 frames skipped, 45 frames discarded
200 frames delivered, 0 frames skipped, 0 frames discarded
200 frames delivered, 3 frames skipped, 0 frames discarded
200 frames delivered, 25 frames skipped, 0 frames discarded
video stream end