"firing up" DocBook (was Re: Star Office)

on Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 02:12:10AM +0800, csj (csj@mindgate.net) wrote:
> On Sunday 25 March 2001 10:22, Ethan Benson wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 24, 2001 at 05:13:47PM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:

> > > I've used DocBook for a couple of projects, and prefer LaTeX for
> > > generalized typeset output myself as well.  For Real Work they're
> > > the Right Tools, IMO.
> >
> > except for someone who isn't interested in learning them, latex is
> > fine for me, but not for the user of the computer in question.
>
> I use abiword for ALL of my non-mail writing. I do freelance writing
> (that's semi-real work) and it has rarely failed me on deadlines.
> Yesterday was an exception: my Slot A played possum on me. Latex and
> Docbook? Compared to them, vi seems like heaven. (Offhand I don't
> even know what command to use to fire up docbook.)

Um.  'vi' works, though emacs/xemacs is probably more powerful.

DocBook is an SGML standard, not an editor.  The best support is
arguably sgml-tools under emacsen.  Despite the wealth of tagging
syntax, it's actually damned near trivial to get started, at least for
someone who's familiar with tag-markup syntax -- HTML is a good starter,
LaTeX or *roff users will comprehend.

The tidying and prettifying tools under DocBook are pretty good.  I find
LaTeX more readable -- the tagging is less verbose and certain
constructs, such as paragraphs, are imputed from whitespace -- but
DocBook itself is a reasonably workable convention.  Generating various
output formats -- PS, PDF, HTML, and RTF are natively supported -- is
straightforward.

What LaTeX buys is the ability to create rightly formatted ASCII output
including pagination, ToC, index, etc.  DocBook doesn't currently
support this, the workaround is to intermediate through a text-mode
browser such as lynx or w3m.  Pagination can be added through a tool
such as 'pr', but correlation between pages and ToC isn't maintained.