Re: Star Office

on Sat, Mar 24, 2001 at 07:09:09PM -0500, Michael Soulier (msoulier@nortelnetworks.com) wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 24, 2001 at 02:53:51PM -0900, Ethan Benson wrote:
>
> > abiword is unusably buggy in potato (and helix/ximian) kword in
> > the unofficial potato repository is also quite buggy (it makes most of
> > the text invisible randomly when your typing).  ted might be ok, i
> > haven't done much testing yet.  but its rather limited and a bit
> > klunky.
>
>     Abiword and kword are both crap currently. I'm sure they'll develop into
> fine tools, but I wouldn't be relying on them just yet.

What version of abiword are you using?  I'm running 0.7 under
unstable/testing, and it's definitely tolerable for light use.  It's
mostly what I pull out to do something that involves short text and
hardcopy -- a letter, say.

Version: 0.7.13-0.2

>     Personally, I do all of my work in either LaTeX or DocBook. LaTeX
> looks better overall, and is easier to customize IMO, but DocBook
> offers quite a few easy conversions and the XML DTD is probably going
> to be a major force in open standards. If you want WYSIWYM (What You
> See Is What You Mean), use LyX.  Otherwise, keep hunting for WYSIAYG
> (read... All You Get) tools.

I've used DocBook for a couple of projects, and prefer LaTeX for
generalized typeset output myself as well.  For Real Work they're the
Right Tools, IMO.

> > > Or you can just be Yet Another Prick For Open Standards like me.
>
>     Amen.

/me grins