Re: nmap strangeness

Nate Amsden wrote:

> > Are there any other tools that reliably tell whether a machine is up or
> > not?
>
> try portscanning as well as OS identification:
>
> nmap -O -p 1-512 XXX.XXX.XXX.0/24

I'm curious, but isn't this redundant?  OS identification works by
portscanning, or am I missing something here.  The command above only
limits the ports to the first 512.  I tried it in any case, without
luck.

> see if that helps .. or if you just want to see who is up:
>
> nmap -sP XXX.XXX.XXX.0/24

Tried that already, but unfortunatelly it doesn't work.  I'm using nmap
2.3 (this is on a RedHat 6.2 machine), but I see that 2.54 is out.

Thanks,
Viktor
--
Viktor Rosenfeld