nmap strangeness

Hello list,

I have a problem.  I am trying to portscan an entire network (Nope, I'm
not a script kiddie, I just have to find out what Linux boxen are
installed on the corporate network which I am supposed to administer),
and I use `nmap -O XXX.XXX.XXX.0/24` as root to find out the OS the
boxen are running.  Unfortunately, nmap is unable to find some hosts
when scanning an entire network.  However if I portscan that machine
directly, it is up and running and nmap reports the open ports
correctly.

Any idea, what could be the cause for nmap's failure to correctly
identify a box as up?  This box has no ipchains installed and it is
responding to pings like a charm.

Are there any other tools that reliably tell whether a machine is up or
not?

TIA,
Viktor
--