Re: (OT) - Static electricity grounding device?

On Sun, Mar 25, 2001 at 01:08:46PM -0700, jh wrote:
> Hi. Does anyone know how or have a link to building your own grounding
> device that could attach to your wrist for hardware upgrades? I live in a
> very small town with no way to get one quickly. I know there are places
> online that sell them. Hoping to make something that would do the same job.
> I am in the process of upgrading my motherboard and don't want to take any
> chances. Thank you. -Jeff H

Little ditty from - http://windowsitlibrary.com/Content/175/04/2.html
Don't really know much about the source.

ESD wrist strap, which has a resistor inside the strap and a lead wire
that can be connected to a metal surface as
a ground. The grounding wire on the wrist strap should have
between 1 and 10 Megaohms of resistance. The
resistor should protect you in case you come in contact with a
voltage source. If the resistor is bad or not included,
the wrist strap is useless - an accidental shock could be serious
and even deadly.

also -

Novell, Inc., a network operating system manufacturer, says of ESD
that "about 90 percent of the time, ESD events
cause the component to degrade, but not fail testing procedures,
resulting in failure at a later date. Because
components do not fail immediately, technicians often underestimate
the cost of not using ESD prevention measures."

Anyway, touch the metal on your case before picking up a component.  Try
your best to only touch the sides of the component.  Higher humidity is
better than lower humidity.
kent

--
 From seeing and seeing the seeing has become so exhausted