Re: .bashrc

On Sat, Mar 24, 2001 at 05:50:19PM -0600, stephen wrote:
> I've been running Debian for about 3 days now (been running RedHat for 5
> years+).  I've read through several docs, but haven't found (if I did find
> it, I must've read right past it) answers to a couple of problems.
>
> 1) When I log in, my .bashrc isn't executed.  Here's my ls -al:
>
> -rwx------ 1 stephen  stephen    694 Mar 24 09:59 .bashrc

.bash_profile is executed rather than .bashrc when entering a login shell.
See 'man bash'.

> What do I need to do to get this to execute.  I've set up a .login which
> executes the file and even set up a symbolic link of .profile.  Still no
> dice.
>
> 2) Where do I need to put programs which I want to execute on boot up?  I
> guess I'm looking for the equivalent of RedHat's /etc/rc.d/rc.local.

The links in /etc/rcS.d are executed during the boot sequence, followed
by the links in /etc/rcn.d, where n = runlevel (normally 2 on Debian
systems).  These links point to scripts in /etc/init.d and are managed
with update-rc.d.

Bob