.bashrc

I've been running Debian for about 3 days now (been running RedHat for 5
years+).  I've read through several docs, but haven't found (if I did find
it, I must've read right past it) answers to a couple of problems.

1) When I log in, my .bashrc isn't executed.  Here's my ls -al:

-rwx------ 1 stephen  stephen    694 Mar 24 09:59 .bashrc

What do I need to do to get this to execute.  I've set up a .login which
executes the file and even set up a symbolic link of .profile.  Still no
dice.

2) Where do I need to put programs which I want to execute on boot up?  I
guess I'm looking for the equivalent of RedHat's /etc/rc.d/rc.local.

Any assistance is appreciated.  Thanks!
--
steve