kernel compile problems

I'm running progeny rc1 and, since it didn't configure my sound card during install, I recompiled my kernel (2.2.18) and included support for my soundcard (Yamaha OPL3-SA2) through OSS. After several tries, I finally seem to have gotten all the io settings right (dma, ioports and interrupts in /proc look like they're all in order, as does /proc/sound and dmesg shows everything being recognized/loaded fine) but I still can't get sound working and it also breaks my network card (3com Etherlink XL Combo 3C900). My first though was that there was some kind of conflict but I can't find any. Here're the settings for both cards:

Sound (from /usr/src/linux/.config):
CONFIG_SOUND_OPL3SA2=y
CONFIG_OPL3SA2_CHIPSET=-1
CONFIG_OPL3SA2_BASE=530
CONFIG_OPL3SA2_IRQ=5
CONFIG_OPL3SA2_DMA=0
CONFIG_OPL3SA2_DMA2=1
CONFIG_OPL3SA2_CTRL_BASE=370
CONFIG_OPL3SA2_MPU_BASE=330
CONFIG_OPL3SA2_MPU_IRQ=5

I'd include the settings from /proc but that would require me to install the new kernel again and break networking :) They looked right, anyway.

Ethernet:
ioports: fcc0-fcff : eth0
interrupts: 9: 28040 XT-PIC eth0

With regard to sound, I've tried running both aumix and gmix, both of which complain about not being able to access /dev/dsp (how can I make sure I included /dev/dsp support in the kernel... I couldn't find an option for it in menuconfig). As for the network card, ifconfig finds it and running 'dhclient eth0' returns no errors but still doesn't seem to work. I also tried including it as a module with no success... I'm trying to connect through a cable modem, btw.

Any ideas on how I can debug this?