Re: .bashrc

:-> "stephen" == stephen  <stephen@virtual-attorney.com> writes:

    > 1) When I log in, my .bashrc isn't executed.  Here's my ls -al:

    > -rwx------ 1 stephen  stephen    694 Mar 24 09:59 .bashrc

    > What do I need to do to get this to execute.  I've set up a .login which
    > executes the file and even set up a symbolic link of .profile.  Still no
    > dice.

Upon login, (or when invoked with the --login command line argument),
bash executes whatever is in /etc/profile, and then it look for (in
order) ~/.bash_profile, ~/.bash_login and ~/.profile. The first one
found is the first one executed, and the other are ignored. On logout,
it calls ~/.bash_logout.

Non interactive shells instead look only for ~/bashrc.

So if you want to do the same things both at login and at secondary shells
(e.g. xterms), you may want to put all your environment definitions,
aliases and functions in ~/.bashrc and have a line like
source ~/.bashrc
in your ~/.bash_profile, which may contain other additional stuff such
as playing your favourite chime when you log in.

    > 2) Where do I need to put programs which I want to execute on boot up?  I
    > guess I'm looking for the equivalent of RedHat's /etc/rc.d/rc.local.

/etc/rc.boot exists in debian but is deprecated.
Look in /etc/init.d and try to modify one of the existing scripts for
the stuff that you want started/stopped at boot/shutdown.
Then have a look at update-rc.d which is a nice debian script to
update the boot links in the /etc/rcX.d directories.