Re: Authoring tools (was Re: Star Office)

On Sat, Mar 24, 2001 at 07:39:18PM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> Probably.  I've always found if I'm using nedit I keep asking myself why
> I'm not using vim ;-)  Though I'll sometimes pull up nedit for
> cut'n'paste out of Netscape edit dialogs.

yup for me i use emacs, but for this individual something more basic
is more appropriate (they are not a hacker).

> Looking over recent updates -- 10-20 MB is fairly typical, running on
> the order of 30 minutes to a copule of hours.  If you can run this
> overnight, it's probably acceptable if you can't othewise dedicate a
> connection.  Note that in my case it's a dedicated 56K modem connection.

thats about how potato was when it was unstable, i tracked potatos
unstable.  i have since had the use of a dual full duplex T1s (6Mb)
connection to the internet for a few months, but not anymore.  i can
no longer tolerate downloading anything larger then about 400K.  :/

> How about Lyx or Klyx?  Heard good things, haven't used them.

lyx requires non-free software, thats a showstopper.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/