Authoring tools (was Re: Star Office)

on Sat, Mar 24, 2001 at 05:22:06PM -0900, Ethan Benson (erbenson@alaska.net) wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 24, 2001 at 05:13:47PM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> >
> > What version of abiword are you using?  I'm running 0.7 under
> > unstable/testing, and it's definitely tolerable for light use.  It's
> > mostly what I pull out to do something that involves short text and
> > hardcopy -- a letter, say.
> >
> > Version: 0.7.13-0.2
>
> Version: 0.7.12-0.ximian.2
>
> for the absolute lightest of work (ie plain text) its fine, but if all
> your doing is plain text nedit is far more reliable.

Probably.  I've always found if I'm using nedit I keep asking myself why
I'm not using vim ;-)  Though I'll sometimes pull up nedit for
cut'n'paste out of Netscape edit dialogs.

> i would probably be running unstable on that box if i had faster
> internet connection, atm i just don't fancy the idea of a 20MB
> download a day or a 60MB download a week.  i would LOVE to get rid of
> this ximian crap though.

Looking over recent updates -- 10-20 MB is fairly typical, running on
the order of 30 minutes to a copule of hours.  If you can run this
overnight, it's probably acceptable if you can't othewise dedicate a
connection.  Note that in my case it's a dedicated 56K modem connection.

> > I've used DocBook for a couple of projects, and prefer LaTeX for
> > generalized typeset output myself as well.  For Real Work they're the
> > Right Tools, IMO.
>
> except for someone who isn't interested in learning them, latex is
> fine for me, but not for the user of the computer in question.

How about Lyx or Klyx?  Heard good things, haven't used them.