Making /etc/hosts.allow | hosts.deny changes effective (was Re: easy question - getting changed files read)

on Sat, Mar 24, 2001 at 04:18:09PM -0700, Mike Millner (mike@mikeshome.com) wrote:
> When I make changes to files, for example hosts.deny or hosts.access
> how do I get the OS to see them without rebooting? I know with my DNS
> files I can do a "rndc reload" and the changes are read but with these
> types of files I don't know hot get the read.

Note the subject change.  More specific is generally better.

The issue is not the OS, but inetd, which processes these files:

    /etc/init.d/inetd restart

...will do it.

In general, you can force a restart of any particular daemon (service)
in a similar fashion.

You can force *all* services to be stopped and restarted by going to
"maintenance" level.  The "shutdown" command does this by default:

    $ /sbin/shutdown now

...then follow prompts to return to your default init state.  This
*does* stop all processes (other than init) but is faster than going
through a full reboot.