Re: ppp configuration problem

John Davidson writes:
> However I have an eth0 interface with its own gateway to the rest of my
> internal network.

You almost certainly don't need a default route to your internal network.

> All of this is to sya that I can now make it set the route correctly, but
> I am still unable to ping anything outside my local network.

Set the route correctly as in allow pppd to create a default route to the
remote address of the ppp link?

> I had previously tried with a preconfigured /etc/resolv.conf file which
> contained my domain and nameservers, but I tried the option usepeerdns...

Why did you think you needed that?  Did the connection come up at all with
it?

> ...which causes my /etc/resolv.conf file to be completely overwritten -
> it contains only the nameserver information after connection. Other
> distros I have used are more polite and comment existing information and
> add delimiting comments around information entered by their version of
> pppd.

If you that you selected usepeerdns using pppconfig, it didn't overwrite
your /etc/resolv.conf (or if it did there's a bug that I need to know
about).  It swapped it out, and would have swapped it back when the ppp
connection went down.

--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org