Re: ppp configuration problem

Further investigation reveals that I am experiencing a conflict betweent
'interfaces' and 'pppd'. At least this is what prevents the default gateway
being added. My ISP does not use PAP or CHAP, so I must use a chatscript
with option noauth. However I have an eth0 interface with its own gateway to
the rest of my internal network. The existence of the the default gateway
for eth0 and option noauth prevent the insertion of a gateway for ppp0.

Mandrake notes this problem in the file
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-ppp which contains (in part)

#pppd will no longer delete an existing default route
#so we have to help it a little
route del default > /dev/null 2>$1
( and ensures that option defaultroute is then set for the script)

All of this is to sya that I can now make it set the route correctly, but I
am still unable to ping anything outside my local network.

I had previously tried with a preconfigured /etc/resolv.conf file which
contained my domain and nameservers, but I tried the option usepeerdns which
causes my /etc/resolv.conf file to be completely overwritten - it contains
only the nameserver information after connection. Other distros I have used
are more polite and comment existing information and add delimiting comments
around information entered by their version of pppd.

I want to convert all my Linux boxes to Debian but need to have ppp working
first.

John Davidson