Re: ppp configuration problem

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Hasler" <
john@dhh.gt.org>
To: <
debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2001 12:13 PM
Subject: Re: ppp configuration problem

> John Davidson writes:
> > However I have an eth0 interface with its own gateway to the rest of my
> > internal network.
>
> You almost certainly don't need a default route to your internal network.

I had a default route because I have multiple networks internally, but for
testing I have accepted that they will not be reachable (not a problem
here). I have removed the default route created and that has fixed the
routing table errors.

> > All of this is to sya that I can now make it set the route correctly,
but
> > I am still unable to ping anything outside my local network.
>
> Set the route correctly as in allow pppd to create a default route to the
> remote address of the ppp link?

pppd is now correctly creating a default route to the remote address of the
ppp link

> > I had previously tried with a preconfigured /etc/resolv.conf file which
> > contained my domain and nameservers, but I tried the option
usepeerdns...

> Why did you think you needed that?  Did the connection come up at all with
> it?

Yes the connection came up when I had defined it manually. I thought I
needed it because it was not being created until I added usepeerdns which is
a new option (to me at least).

> > ...which causes my /etc/resolv.conf file to be completely overwritten -
> > it contains only the nameserver information after connection. Other
> > distros I have used are more polite and comment existing information and
> > add delimiting comments around information entered by their version of
> > pppd.
>
> If you that you selected usepeerdns using pppconfig, it didn't overwrite
> your /etc/resolv.conf (or if it did there's a bug that I need to know
> about).  It swapped it out, and would have swapped it back when the ppp
> connection went down.

MEA CULPA! I spoke too soon, it indeed returns the original file after the
connection is closed, sorry.
> --

However, after even this the connection still does not return pings from the
internet or even the gateway itself.

Comparision with a different kernel from Mandrake shows differing flags on
the serial device driver (both 5.0.2).
The one that works has MANY_PORTS SHARE_IRQ SERIAL_PCI ISAPNP.
The one not working has HUB-6 MANY_PORTS MULTIPORTS SHARE_IRQ SERIAL_PCI

I should also not that I have tried with 3 separate Debian kernels one
2.2.18pre21-idepci from the potato boot floppies and also the latest
2.4.2-i586 (one as created by Debian and another compiled by myself). I have
tried this in 2 different computers both using the same external US Robotics
56K modem, as this email is being sent on. The ppp connection I have working
currently is using Mandrake Beta 8.0. - I want to use Debian as there is
less bloat, easier updating and excellent kde support.

John Davidson