Re: Log rotation in Debian /var/log

On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 09:08:00PM -0500, Paul D. Smith wrote:
> OK, I see sysklogd.
>
> This seems needlessly complex: how many different log rotating tools do
> we need to have on a system in order to do the job?  Debian should pick
> one and try to move all the standard system services to use that one
> tool, IMO.

debian packages have been rotating logs for a lot longer then
logrotate has existed.

current debian policy *suggests* using logrotate, so packages should
and some do, but its not required.

> Next question: how in the heck are the Apache logs rotated?

/etc/cron.daily/apache  (or is it cron.weekly)

> As far as I can tell, sysklogd doesn't do so.  Anyway, none of the
> invocations of syslog-listfiles I came up with listed any of them to be
> rotated.  Also, the apache config doesn't appear to use the method
> suggested in the Apache web site (pipe to rotatelogs or whatever).
>
> Nevertheless, my /var/log/apache/* log files are without a doubt being
> rotated.
>
> Who is doing it, and from where?!?!

each package installs its own cron job in cron.weekly or cron.daily to
take care of log rotation, some packages use logrotate instead.

some standard logs are rotated by sysklogd (messsges, auth.log etc)

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/