Re: Log rotation in Debian /var/log

%% Ethan Benson <erbenson@alaska.net> writes:

  eb> On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 09:08:00PM -0500, Paul D. Smith wrote:

  >> This seems needlessly complex: how many different log rotating tools do
  >> we need to have on a system in order to do the job?  Debian should pick
  >> one and try to move all the standard system services to use that one
  >> tool, IMO.

  eb> debian packages have been rotating logs for a lot longer then
  eb> logrotate has existed.

Sure; I meant going forward it would be good to converge on one method.

  eb> current debian policy *suggests* using logrotate, so packages should
  eb> and some do, but its not required.

Unfortunately after playing with logrotate, it has some significant
drawbacks that would need to be addressed before it could be considered
sufficiently generic to be used by "everyone".

 Paul D. Smith <psmith@baynetworks.com>    HASMAT--HA Software Methods & Tools