Re: Access & Permissions

Lo, on Tuesday, March 20, Matthew Sackman did write:

> On Tue, Mar 20, 2001 at 01:04:27PM -0500, C Mead wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I need to give access to my /www/ dirs to regular users for apache. Can
> > someone please take me through the steps of changing the permissions
> > and groups recursively.

Once you figure out what permissions and owners you want, both chown and
chmod take an -R flag, which recurs through the directory tree(s) specified.

<SNIP> good suggestion about how to set up this tree....

> I believe that the chmod g+rwx with the 'x' is needed because I've found that
> otherwise some filemanagers will not display the contents of the directory
> (which is probably not desireable... ;-)

This isn't a filemanager issue; even /bin/ls will do this (more or less).
The meaning of the various permission flags is a bit non-intuitive on
directories:

r -- allows you to read the directory, i.e., list the filenames contained
     in that directory, but not necessarily any of the other information.
     (See below.)

w -- allows you to write to the directory: create new files and delete
     existing files (regardless of the permissions on the files in
     question, but check out the sticky bit).

x -- allows you to `search' the directory.  Basically, this allows you to
     translate from a filename to an inode, which contains all of the other
     details about a file: length, permissions, location on disk, owner,
     etc.  This is why /bin/ls -l won't work on a directory which you can't
     `execute'.  Also, you can't open a file in a directory which you can't
     execute, since you can't get to the inode to find out where the file's
     data blocks liive.

(Source: _Linux Application Development_, Michael K. Johnson & Eric
W. Troan, section 10.1.1.  I *think* this stuff is listed in a man page
somewhere, but I can never find the silly thing....)

Richard