Re: Access & Permissions

On Tue, Mar 20, 2001 at 01:04:27PM -0500, C Mead wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to give access to my /www/ dirs to regular users for apache. Can
> someone
> please take me  through the steps of changing the permissions and groups
> recursively.
>
> I would ideally like to make all regular users be able to access all
> sub-dirs of dir /var/www and create their own files. As well as that I would
> like to create a new group called 'dev' and make all regular users a part of
> that as well so we can all at least -rx all the files we create.
>
> Can someone please walk me through these step it would be greatly
> appreciated.

Right, what I would recommend is that you create a new user called wwwroot or
similar and then have your root website directory as /home/wwwroot. Then, all
you need to do is a chmod g+wrx on /home/wwwroot and then for each user that
you wish to be able to write to this directory simply do an

adduser username wwwroot

which will add that username to the wwwroot group and thus will allow them to
write to the directory. You could continue using /www/ but it is not quite as
neat as you will end up with an empty /home/www directory (yes, I know you
can use flags to prevent the creation of a home dir, but it still isn't as
straight forward).

I believe that the chmod g+rwx with the 'x' is needed because I've found that
otherwise some filemanagers will not display the contents of the directory
(which is probably not desireable... ;-)

Hope this helps,

Matthew

--

Matthew Sackman