Re: Access & Permissions

To create a group webdev (or whatever...I'd suggest against dev, because it
can get confused with the /dev directory) do this:
groupadd <groupname>
To add the users to it:
usermod -G <group1>,<group2>...
You must specify all of the groups that the user belongs to at the time as
well as the new group.
To change the /var/www directory to allow them to write to it:
chgrp -R <group> /var/www
chmod -R g+rw /var/www
find /var/www -type d |xargs chmod g+x
You might not need the last one if your directories already have group execute
permissions.
Users can (by default with debian) create a directory /home/<user>/public_html
that will be available to apache as http://<hostname>/~<user>/
See the apache documentation sections on 'UserDir' for information about this
and the section on 'Directory' for information about how to change what a
user may and may not do with this personal site.

Hope this helps.
The o'reilly book on apache admining is a really good place to find out more
about this, but I wouldn't bother if you're just doing a web-site for a few
friends.