Re: Debian on IBM Thinkpad T20

Martin Würtele wrote:

On Mon, Mar 19, 2001 at 10:19:52AM -0800, Bill Wohler wrote:

>>I got an IBM Thinkpad T20 and would like to do my small part to
>>improve the world by replacing the Windows on it with Debian.

>>Would love to hear any stories from other travelers who have
>>embarked upon this journey.

>>I've not installed Linux on a laptop before, so any laptop-specific
>>tips (battery icons under gnome/enlightenment, power management
>>stuff, etc.) not covered in the Laptop-HOWTO would be appreciated.

>have a look at the "Linux on Laptops" page. you'll find a couple of
>instructions on how to install linux on the ibm t20 at
>http://www.linux-laptop.net/ibm.html.

I used to run one a while back, and the only real problem was the lack of the Savage IX video card support by X 3.3.6. You'll have to download a patched version (the page mentioned by Martin will have this and a lot more.) I don't know if the graphics card support is there if you want XFree86 4.0

Other than that and accidentally updating the PCMCIA tools while the card was in use (ouch), it was fairly painless although I didn't do much with the power management issues.

Steve