apache not running cgi-scripts

I am running unstable with apache and I'm trying to run php scripts. I've
tried using both php3 and php4. When I run connect to the server it sends
the contents of the script instead of what the script should be printing
out.

I uncommented the load_module php line in httpd.conf and enabled
everything that looked like it might have to do with php or scripts (with
the notable exception of setting script alias /cgi-bin/ to the directory
where the scripts live (because the scripts live in the main directory, it
didn't seem to make sense to alias cgi-bin to it...)).

I tried sticking a perl script in the same folder with the same results.
All scripts have global read/execute permissions or are
readable/executable by www-data (I can't remember which way I did it...)

Any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks,
Nick Urban