Re: Debian on IBM Thinkpad T20

sc wrote:

> Martin Würtele wrote:
>
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2001 at 10:19:52AM -0800, Bill Wohler wrote:
>
>  >>I got an IBM Thinkpad T20 and would like to do my small part to
>  >>improve the world by replacing the Windows on it with Debian.
>
>  >>Would love to hear any stories from other travelers who have
>  >>embarked upon this journey.
>
>  >>I've not installed Linux on a laptop before, so any laptop-specific
>  >>tips (battery icons under gnome/enlightenment, power management
>  >>stuff, etc.) not covered in the Laptop-HOWTO would be appreciated.
>
>  >have a look at the "Linux on Laptops" page. you'll find a couple of
>  >instructions on how to install linux on the ibm t20 at
>  >http://www.linux-laptop.net/ibm.html.
>
> I used to run one a while back, and the only real problem was the lack
> of the Savage IX video card support by X 3.3.6. You'll have to download
> a patched version (the page mentioned by Martin will have this and a lot
> more.) I don't know if the graphics card support is there if you want
> XFree86 4.0
>
> Other than that and accidentally updating the PCMCIA tools while the
> card was in use (ouch), it was fairly painless although I didn't do much
> with the power management issues.
>
> Steve
>
> --

I currently am running the latest unstable on a T20--it works pretty well:
alsa, xfree 4.0.2, framebuffer, apm, 2.4.2 kernel

At one point (with a 2.4.0 kernel) I had the suspend stuff working more or less
(alsa was a bit of a pain).  Currently I have it disabled--but I plan to have a
look at this in due course.

I found that using noflushd helps keep my batery life up.

Docking and hot-docking works fine

cheers

Richard

begin:vcard
n:Black;Richard
tel;fax:416-971-4159
tel;home:
tel;work:416-217-4350
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
org:Algorithmics Inc
adr:;;185 Spadina Avenue;Toronto;Ontario;M5T 2C6;Canada
version:2.1
email;internet:rblack@algorithmics.com
title:Financial Engineer
x-mozilla-cpt:;-18400