Re: cdrom won't mount

Set your mailer to wrap at 72 characters.

on Mon, Mar 19, 2001 at 11:17:52PM -0800, SoftHome (grakker@softhome.net) wrote:

> I am running a pretty straight up 2.2.r2 install.  I downloaded the
> 2.4.2 kernel to play around a little, but when back to 2.2.18pre21,
> because I just didn't have the time to figure out why lp no longer
> worked (something with modutils and other dependencies, I think, but I
> don't really care any more.) Perhaps the new ppp I needed to work with
> the 2.4.2 kernel interferes, but I don't know how to step it back
> down.  Anyway the crux is now when I try:
>
> #>mount /cdrom
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom,
>        or too many mounted file systems
>
> is what I get.  I have read several dozen postings about this problem,
> but no solutions.  There is a CD in there, it is not already mounted,
> and it is not an audio CD.

Do you have iso9660 compiled or loaded as a supported filesystem?

How about specifying full arguments:

    $ mount -t iso9660 -r /dev/hdc /cdrom

> It is not a hardware problem, as audio will play, and I can still boot
> the Debian CDs as rescue.  Also, I can boot up the 2.4.2 kernel and
> 'mount /cdrom' works.

This is why I suspect a module issue.

> I recompiled the 2.2.18pre21 kernel and mounting /cdrom still won't
> work.  I browsed around /proc and it looks like it sees the cdrom,
> iso9660 support is built in, I am just at a lost.

Double-check this and show why you think it's presently loaded.

    $ cat /proc/filesystems

...should show iso9660.

> Please help me with this.  I really like my setup right now and I am
> not looking forward to starting from scratch.
>
> Thank you
>
> -Lang
>
> Here is a little extra info if you want.  Let me know if I missed something
> that may help:
>
> Distribution:		       Debian GNU/Linux
> Operating System:	       Linux
> Distribution Version:	       2.2
> Operating System Version:      #4 Mon Mar 19 22:33:14 PST 2001
> Operating System Release:      2.2.18pre21
> Processor Type: 	       i586
> Host Name:		       dominion
> User Name:		       lang
> X Display Name: 	       :0
> System Status:		       11:14pm	up 39 min,  3 users,  load average:
> 0.01, 0.04, 0.06

More useful than any of the above would be your /etc/fstab line for
/cdrom.