cdrom won't mount

I am losing my mind over this.	If I don't fix this by tomorrow I am starting
over.  I am running a pretty straight up 2.2.r2 install.  I downloaded the
2.4.2 kernel to play around a little, but when back to 2.2.18pre21, because I
just didn't have the time to figure out why lp no longer worked (something with
modutils and other dependencies, I think, but I don't really care any more.)
Perhaps the new ppp I needed to work with the 2.4.2 kernel interferes, but I
don't know how to step it back down.  Anyway the crux is now when I try:

#>mount /cdrom
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom,
       or too many mounted file systems

is what I get.	I have read several dozen postings about this problem, but no
solutions.  There is a CD in there, it is not already mounted, and it is not an
audio CD.

It is not a hardware problem, as audio will play, and I can still boot the
Debian CDs as rescue.  Also, I can boot up the 2.4.2 kernel and 'mount /cdrom'
works.	I recompiled the 2.2.18pre21 kernel and mounting /cdrom still won't
work.  I browsed around /proc and it looks like it sees the cdrom, iso9660
support is built in, I am just at a lost.  Please help me with this.  I really
like my setup right now and I am not looking forward to starting from scratch.

Thank you

-Lang

Here is a little extra info if you want.  Let me know if I missed something
that may help:

Distribution:		       Debian GNU/Linux
Operating System:	       Linux
Distribution Version:	       2.2
Operating System Version:      #4 Mon Mar 19 22:33:14 PST 2001
Operating System Release:      2.2.18pre21
Processor Type: 	       i586
Host Name:		       dominion
User Name:		       lang
X Display Name: 	       :0
System Status:		       11:14pm	up 39 min,  3 users,  load average:
0.01, 0.04, 0.06