Re: virtual terminals

On Mon, Mar 19, 2001 at 11:27:44PM -0800, Alexander Poquet wrote:
> hey folks.
>
> i was just wondering about virtual terms -- is there an easy way to change
> how many there are?  debian seems to default at 6 running getty, and X
> opens up 7.  presumably i can use as many as 12?  how does this work?
> is it as simple as running getty from init, or is there a kernel definition
> somewhere that specifies how many i can have, or a little of both?
>
> is there some documentation on the subject somewhere?
>
> --
> Alexander Poquet                | We leave the obvious generalizations to the
> atpoquet@ucdavis.edu            | reader.                  -- Israel Herstein
> Use of PGP preferable in reply  |               Use Linux!

I think up until kernel 1.1.54 you had to recompile to change the number
of virtual consoles. Now you can just add a line in /etc/inittab:

8:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty8

This will give you another console on cntrl-alt-f8 after a reboot. Be
careful using tty7 to avoid an X conflict--I don't know what would
happen if getty and X both tried to use the same device. There's a huge
number of tty's available (try ls /dev/tty*), but I suppose you're limited
to 12, one for each of the F keys.