Re: change to md5 passwds

On Mon, Mar 19, 2001 at 11:06:46AM -0600, Kevin Long wrote:
> I am switching a system from RH 6.0 to debian.  I installed without md5
> passwords, but could not get the RH password files to log me in.
>
> When I ran john the ripper on the old passwd files it said something to the
> effect that it thought the passwds were FreeBSD MD5 passwords.
>
> Assuming that is correct -- how can I change passwd to use md5 and will that
> allow me to drop in the existing passwd, shadow, and group files; or does
> anyone know of something else I might need to take into account

md5 hashes should work regardless of what hash passwd will create.
however some time ago it was discovered that pam created bogus md5
hashes due to an endianess bug, backward compatability was retained
for awhile but it might be gone now.  the only difference when md5 is
enabled is `md5' is added to the arguments to the pam_unix.so password
lines.  these are not used during authentication.

also you can't just drop redhat passwd files onto debian, you will
break your system.  you can only take the ordinary user accounts from
redhat and add them to the debian passwd files.  that is uids above
500 from redhat are ok, any uid below 500 is not.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/