change to md5 passwds

I am switching a system from RH 6.0 to debian.  I installed without md5
passwords, but could not get the RH password files to log me in.

When I ran john the ripper on the old passwd files it said something to the
effect that it thought the passwds were FreeBSD MD5 passwords.

Assuming that is correct -- how can I change passwd to use md5 and will that
allow me to drop in the existing passwd, shadow, and group files; or does
anyone know of something else I might need to take into account

Thanks for the help