Re: bash segfaulting and not being able to log in

on Mon, Mar 19, 2001 at 09:30:28AM -0500, Anthony Fox (ant@lonelyroad.org) wrote:
> kmself@ix.netcom.com writes:
>
> > on Sun, Mar 18, 2001 at 09:44:51PM -0500, Anthony Fox (ant@lonelyroad.org) wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I have two questions:

<...>

> > > 2. I log in at the console, /etc/motd is printed, and then I am
> > > logged out.  I have seen this problem on a box where home
> > > directories where NFS mounted and the NFS mount did not exist.  My
> > > particular box does not have home directories mounted, but my
> > > partition table looks like:
> >
> > Does this happen when logging in as a regular user, as root, either?
>
> Both.  Like the bash problem, it happens half the time and half the
> time my box works just fine.  That is why I think the problems are
> related.
>
> > Does /etc/nologin exist?
> >
> > Check your .bash_profile and .bashrc files, as well as any
> > /etc/bashrc and /etc/profile files.  You might try renaming these
> > temporarily.
>
> I have checked the startup scripts, there is no problem with them.
> /etc/nologin does not exist.  Plus, I can log in just fine half the
> time.

What happens if you change your user shell?  Say, csh, sash, or zsh?

Is anything else not working properly?  This is weird behavior, and
appears to be inconsistant over time, and effects different
functionality.  I'd suspect a hardware issue.

Run a memory test and/or CPU test.  Kernel compile is useful  SIG11
errors tend to indicate problems.