Re: bash segfaulting and not being able to log in

on Sun, Mar 18, 2001 at 09:44:51PM -0500, Anthony Fox (ant@lonelyroad.org) wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have two questions:
>
> 1. Bash segfaults when I hit tab to autocomplete a filename.  I have
>    checked the bash FAQ which does not address my specific problem.
>    Has anyone seen this?

What version of bash?  In my case:

    $ bash --version
    GNU bash, version 2.04.0(1)-release (i386-pc-linux-gnu)

You've posted this problem before and we've tried a couple of things
(keysyms, strace), without results.  The problem is odd, I'd try at this
point:

  - Check bash bug reports.
  - Keyboard test.  This appears to be related to the problem.
  - Identify parameters of problem.
  - Memory test.  Possible but unlikely if bash is the only problem.
  - Reinstall bash.

If the problem persists, file a bug report.

> 2. I log in at the console, /etc/motd is printed, and then I am logged
>    out.  I have seen this problem on a box where home directories
>    where NFS mounted and the NFS mount did not exist.  My particular
>    box does not have home directories mounted, but my partition table
>    looks like:

Does this happen when logging in as a regular user, as root, either?

Does /etc/nologin exist?

Check your .bash_profile and .bashrc files, as well as any /etc/bashrc
and /etc/profile files.  You might try renaming these temporarily.