NFS question

Hi!

I'm trying to move a /var tree to a (kernel-) NFS mounted volume on a
debian/potato box with a 2.4.2 kernel. Before doing so everything
worked fine, but now I seem to have problems getting some permissions
right; the NFS (server side) kernel complains with:

	fh_verify: lprng/lpd.printer permission failure, acc=4a, error=13

This comes when lprng starts, while writing the pid file in
/var/run/lprng. Even if I su to daemon or lp, I can write a file in
that directory, but the daemon doesn't even start. As far as I could
find out, it seems to be that lprng runs as daemon and tries to change
group to lp, which the NFS server doesn't seem to like, but I'm not
sure. In the end there is a file with 0 bytes. Anybody could tell me
what I'm doing wrong?

TIA

--
Christoph Simon