Re: Debian Home LAN

On Sun, Mar 18, 2001 at 06:08:50AM +0100, Carel Fellinger wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 17, 2001 at 09:43:37PM -0600, Ronald L. Chichester wrote:
> > What I'm more interested in is transferring data from one box to
> > another.  (No, the files I want to transfer are major backups of 400+ MB
> > each, so I don't want to tie up phone lines for that long.)
> >
> > I would prefer an NIS/NFS setup, but I'd be happy with just simple ftp.
> > I've got the server set up with ftp, but haven't been able to get either
> > of them talking to one another.  (Each time I try to ping or ftp the
> > other, it gives me a "host unreachable" error message).
>
> Both machines should have an IP number and should know each others ip-nr,
> that's the function of /etc/hosts.  For a local network a bunch of ip-nrs
> is reserved 10/8, 172.?/16 and 192.168/16.  So if you put something like
>
>    127.0.0.1       localhost
>    192.168.1.1     one.localnet
>    192.168.1.2     two.localnet
>
> in /etc/hosts of each machine, the first step is made.
>
> The second step is entering the relevant things in /etc/network/interfaces.
> On machine one.localnet this should look like:
>
>    # /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)
>
>    # The loopback interface
>    iface lo inet loopback
>
>    # The first network card (network, broadcast and gateway are optional)
>    iface eth0 inet static
>         address 192.168.1.1
>         netmask 255.255.255.0
>
> On machine two.localnet all is the same but for the ip-nr, there the address
> line of the first network card should read:
>
>         address 192.168.1.2
>
> Okee, w're almost done.  We need to assure that the driver for your
> network card is loaded, have a look at dmesg's output (dmesg | less)
> and look for a line starting with "eth0".  If it is missing, look up
> the brand and model of your network card and use modconf to add the
> correct driver.
>
> And finally to make it all work (normally done at boot) on both
> machines do:
>
>    # ifup eth0
>
> As far as I know, now "ping {two,one}.localnet" should work.

Provided they're properly connected. With baseT NICs you'll need
either a hub or, for 2 machines, a crossover cable.

Once you get them to see each other, set up nfs server on one of the
boxes. Decide which directories you want to export and share them
with exportfs. Now you should be able to "mount -t nfs server:/dir /mnt"
from the other box.

Dima
--
E-mail dmaziuk at bmrb dot wisc dot edu (@work) or at crosswinds dot net (@home)
I'm going to exit now since you don't want me to replace the printcap. If you