Help with themes

I just switched from Slackware to Debian, and in the
installation everything wento ok. I have Gnome running
correctly, except for the themes.

They don't seem to be working ok, since the themes for
the scrollbars don't work and tittlebars have bigger
fonts thatn they are supposed to.

I already talked to the people in gnome, and I updated
everything from ximian. The problem remained. They
said the problem was in the distritibution.

So this is why I come to you.

I was told debian was a friendlier Linux than
Slackware, but if, as Microsoft, you risk funcionality
for comodity, then I'll get back to the complex stuff,
because I want it working...

Thank you for your time.

AleX Espinoza