Debian Home LAN

I want to set up a home network (just with PPP access to the Internet),
but am having some trouble getting the machines to talk to each other.
Both boxes have 100 MB Ethernet NICs.  I want to set up one as a server
and the other as a workstation.  Both boxes are running Linux.

Internet access is not important, as each box has its own modem.

What I'm more interested in is transferring data from one box to
another.  (No, the files I want to transfer are major backups of 400+ MB
each, so I don't want to tie up phone lines for that long.)

I would prefer an NIS/NFS setup, but I'd be happy with just simple ftp.
I've got the server set up with ftp, but haven't been able to get either
of them talking to one another.  (Each time I try to ping or ftp the
other, it gives me a "host unreachable" error message).

There are several articles out there that have home networks, but each
of them is assuming either a cable modem or DSL.  Generally these set a
DNS, gateway and/or subnets that I can't duplicate.

Is there a resource out there specifically for a standalone LAN (static
IP) or a PPP type LAN with example hosts, host.conf, resolv.conf,
nsswitch.conf, etc. files so that I can emulate it?

TIA,

Ron