Re: can't print from acroread

  --received from Bob Nielsen--

> Just a guess, but....
>
> I had a similar problem with only certain .pdf documents.  The error
> light on my Lexmark Optra E312 would flash when lpr was sending data to
> the printer and nothing was printed although there were no error
> messages.  I used pdftops to convert the file to .ps and noticed that
> the first line said "%!PS-Adobe-3.0".  My printer only handles PS
> level 2, so I believe this was the problem.  I think it had something
> to do with the way the document was created and neither acroread nor
> pdftops could convert to level 2 postscript, although I had selected
> level 2 in the acroread print dialog box.
>
> Bob

Well, I've saved the file to postscript using acroread and, alas, the
first line also reads "%!PS-Adobe-3.0" yet I can print it fine from the
command line . . . things just won't print from acroread.  Thus, it's
not terribly impeding but I would be happy to solve the mystery and
get the user who is complaining of this off my back.  If it prints from
the command line, I see no reason why it shouldn't print from
acroread.

--
Paul Yeatman       (858) 534-9896        pyeatman@ucsd.edu