RE: Locked up X-windows

I can think of two potential solutions ... (caution: I am a relative newbie)

If you installed from CD (as I did), then reboot from the CD and choose the
option for mounting the file system.  I don't remember the precise details,
but basically you make the install CD act like a rescue disk.  You will be
handed over to terminal mode with a limited functional set.  Check to see if
/dev/psaux exists, and if it does, link it to /dev/mouse (ln -s /dev/psaux
/dev/mouse).

My other solution assumes you have access to a boot disk, like, Tom's root
boot disk, see http://www.toms.net/rb/home.html. Again you will have a
limited instruction set that may not include an editor, so execute the link
method.  If you pursue this method you will have to manually mount the
partition where you located the debian install (/etc).  For example, type,
"mount -t ext2 /dev/hda1 /mnt/disk". This example mounts the first partition
on the first IDE drive to a directory named "disk" in the directory "mnt".
Before executing this command, you will have to create the "disk" directory,
"mkdir /mnt/disk".  Note, the arguments in your mount command will
definitely be different from my example if you are using SCSI drives.

****I just re-read your message*** you do have a boot disk! I think you type
either, "vmlinuz" or "vmlinux" at that prompt.  Sorry, I'm just not sure. I
will guess there may be a default, so simply pressing "enter" will boot the
image default of the disk (?).

If this doesn't work, try a repost to the list with the subject being
something like, proper response at the rescue boot disk prompt.

Barry