RE: Combining disks in one virtual partition.

This is what LVM is for (among other things).  If you can run
a 2.4 kernel you might be able to do it.  I don't know about
having root on a logical volume under linux.  We did it with
hpux years ago.  It will depend on boot support.  Get the
kernel source and read the docs...

jim