NIC identification

I've got a Dell box I'm installing debian on with an intergrated NIC on the
motherboard.  When I booted the install CD, the system startup messages
included

ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 on irq 14

so I figured, "Great!  It's been autodetected, so I don't have to worry about
what it actually is!"

I was wrong.  When it booted off the hard drive, the same message was
displayed in the startup sequence, but eth0 isn't there:

hudson:~# ifconfig eth0 up
eth0: unknown interface: Operation not supported by device

Where would I start looking to determine what the appropriate module/settings
for this card would be?

--
Linux will do for applications what the Internet did for networks.
    - IBM, "Peace, Love, and Linux"