Re: URGENT: permissions of /dev/ttyS? are constantly getting reset

Quoting Nico De Ranter (nico@sonycom.com):

> I'm installing a little ppp server for a special project. The ppp daemon
> needs to be started by a non-root user. I've added the user to the dialout
> group however the default permission are:
>
> crw-r-----    1 root     dialout    4,  64 Nov 30 16:23 /dev/ttyS0
>
> in stead of
>
> crw-rw----    1 root     dialout    4,  64 Nov 30 16:23 /dev/ttyS0
>

> I tried chmod but the next time I reboot the permissions are reset to
> crw-r----- again.  How can I switch off this behaviour?  Having the user
> log in as root is really not an option.

The first solution is to use pppconfig, pon and poff. Non-root users
need to be in the group dip. Remember that a session only acquires its
group permissions when you login.

If you insist on using wvdial to set up your modem (BTW it is a good
idea to say which packages you are using when asking for help; I'm
just guessing you use wvdial because you're hitting the same bugs as
other people do.), you might be able to just copy the modem scripts
written by wvdial into your pppconfig.

I get the impression that most people who use wvdial have root access
and correct the permissions themselves. (Bug #85709.)

Cheers,