Re: URGENT: permissions of /dev/ttyS? are constantly getting reset

On Wed, Mar 14, 2001 at 01:48:53PM +0000, David Wright wrote:
> Quoting Nico De Ranter (nico@sonycom.com):
>
> > I'm installing a little ppp server for a special project. The ppp daemon
> > needs to be started by a non-root user. I've added the user to the dialout
> > group however the default permission are:
> >
> > crw-r-----    1 root     dialout    4,  64 Nov 30 16:23 /dev/ttyS0
> >
> > in stead of
> >
> > crw-rw----    1 root     dialout    4,  64 Nov 30 16:23 /dev/ttyS0
> >

> > I tried chmod but the next time I reboot the permissions are reset to
> > crw-r----- again.  How can I switch off this behaviour?  Having the user
> > log in as root is really not an option.
>
> The first solution is to use pppconfig, pon and poff. Non-root users
> need to be in the group dip. Remember that a session only acquires its
> group permissions when you login.
>
> If you insist on using wvdial to set up your modem (BTW it is a good
> idea to say which packages you are using when asking for help; I'm
> just guessing you use wvdial because you're hitting the same bugs as
> other people do.), you might be able to just copy the modem scripts
> written by wvdial into your pppconfig.
>
> I get the impression that most people who use wvdial have root access
> and correct the permissions themselves. (Bug #85709.)

These tools are all very nice if you're a homeuser wanting to use a modem to
dialin. However there are lots of other things you can do with ppp. I'm not
intrested in using any of these programs I just need that special user to be
able to use bare bones pppd.

Anyway, I added a S99zfixttyS script to /etc/rc2.d that will revert the permissions
to a more useable value.  I would however like it very much if the Debian
installation would offer a "skip-the-paranoid-stuff" button.  Having good
security by default might be heaven for regular homeusers but it's hell for
anybody trying to do special development on Linux.

Disclaimer: I'm a sysop, my colleague is on holiday, I had a bad week. Please
forgive me if this sounded insulting or whatever. Thank whatever god you believe
in it's almost weekend :-)

Nico

 "It has been said that there are only two businesses that
  refer to customers as users: illegal drug trade and
               the computer industry."
Nico De Ranter
Sony Service Center (SDCE/NEE-B)
Sint Stevens Woluwestraat 55 (Rue de Woluwe-Saint-Etienne)
1130 Brussel (Bruxelles), Belgium, Europe, Earth
Telephone: +32 2 724 86 41 Telefax: +32 2 726 26 86
e-mail: nico.deranter@sonycom.com